Sunday, July 25, 2010

Life Is A Mess

On July 10th my life changed completely. I remember the phone ringing at 1:37 pm. It was Rita Tabor from the Medical Center. I could hear the nervousness in her voice. She asked if I had anyone with me. She told me my mom had been in a car accident and was in critical condition. I needed to get there as quick as I could. I remember my heart pounding and my breath leaving me. When I got there they ushered my back to the room where she was. She didn't even look like herself. They were squeezing bags of blood into her as quickly as they could. The doctor told us that she probably wouldn't even survive the helicopter ride to Vandy but they were gonna give it a try. I told her I loved her and as I left her side I felt my world fall completely apart. I watched as the helicopter lifted off the ground and took off with my mom fighting for her life. When I got to Vandy they told me they had already removed her spleen and were trying to get her internal bleeding stopped. We learned she had 20 broken ribs, a broken pelvis, broken left tibia, broken scapula and arm, both lungs punctured, and three breaks in her spine. They told us she wouldn't make it through the night. I didn't believe them....I knew they weren't the decider of when her life was over. The next morning they had already given her 60 units of blood. She was still fighting.....I still had hope. I talked to her every chance I got and I prayed that God give her strength and the will to live. More surgery...actually about several more. They had to open her stomach back up that day and remove a portion of her colon due to a perforation. She also had a trach placed. Days went by and she continued to get stronger. The internal bleeding finally stopped and they felt she was strong enough to endure hip surgery. They place a rod and plate in her right pelvis and thigh. She came through with flying colors. In the next few days she began to be more alert and even attempted to talk. We found out she had a small brain bleed but nothing major. Days went by so slowly....no sleep and nothing but worries. But, I know God has been carrying me and her both. Today is July 25th and it's day 16 in the hospital. She had to have two more units of blood last night due to her blood pressure dropping. She has pneumonia and mold in her lungs so we are fighting that. However, she is very alert and trying her best to talk to us. She is making her nurses smile. The doctors here are amazed at how strong she is. We plan on surgery in the morning to fix her left tibia. Hopefully with God's grace we will get to move to a rehab hospital later in the week. That way I can stay in the room with her. This has woken me up.....shaken up my world. I always loved my mom but I took for granted that she would always be there. I didn't spend the time I needed to with her. I put work first and that is wrong. I no longer have a job because my boss is a very greedy and unfeeling person. But, I am where I need to be and I am gonna make sure my mom comes home with me. She is my heart and soul. I thank God everyday for sparing her life and giving me a second chance to be the daughter I need to be!!! I will post each day about her recovery!!

No comments:

Post a Comment