Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Feeling Blessed

Today has been a very long and exhausting day. However, once again I am reminded how much God loves me and how he is still working miracles in my life. For six long months I have taken care of my mom. I have bathed her, changed her dressings, and changed a colostomy bag 4-6 times daily because of the leakage. I can't say that everyday was a good one or that I didn't get extremely upset at times. I can't say that their wasn't times that I stood over her bed crying like a two year old because I was so tired and just didn't want to go on anymore. I asked God sometimes why he let her live just so she could lay and suffer. Her life had no quality but she still had such a fight in her. I have been shot in the foot so many times by health care professionals since July. I begged for help from everyone and no one seemed to care. It isn't fun when you are the only one that is there to do it all. I am hoping today puts us a few steps forward. I know I witnessed a miracle on July 10th 2010....I saw my mom pull through a motor vehicle accident that should have by mans knowledge killed her. 22 broken ribs, a broken pelvis, broken femur, broken tibia, broken knee, both arms broken, broken spine, massive brain bleed, lacerated spleen which caused her to lose all of the blood in her body, and a perforated colon. Wow, and not to mention two episodes of cardiac arrest. 24 hours to live. Man knows nothing. Over the past 6 months she has endured so very much....and continued to fight. Today, a very dedicated surgeon took my mom's life into his hands and put her colon back together....something the docs at Vandy told us would never happen. The surgery lasted four hours but in the end she no longer had the leaky bag hanging from her side. She is in a lot of pain tonight but she knows her life will now have some quality to it. She no longer has to stay in bed or in the recliner and she can go out in public. She was unable to do anything due to the bag constantly leaking and having to be changed. I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel. I witnessed yet another miracle today. She was supposed to go to ICU after the surgery but she was doing so well that they put her in a regular room on the floor. Her fight never ceases to amaze me. I have experienced a lot of heartache in my lifetime but through those I got to know true heroes. People who fought to live. I watched my brother survive three years with leukemia after being given 3 weeks. I saw my dad survive 10 years after being told he would never make it two years with his heart, and now I've seen my mom fight and survive after they gave her 24 hours to live. I thank God for giving me such wonderful, strong, and determined people in my life. I am grateful for the journey I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment